In 1948, the recognition of an increase in need for expanded fire protection service prompted the members of the Mt. Bethel Fire Company No. 1 to approach the residents of Mt. Horeb Park for the purpose of increasing Company membership. Approximately 12 dedicated individuals with a sense of community spirit responded, and the Mt. Horeb Park Station went into service. These individuals were: Bob Adams, Jim Bernard, Jim Churchill, Lou Damon, Dick Geschwinder, Joe Karp, Ted Koerner, Harry Men-ine, Gregg Monahan, Harry Pen-ine, Ken Lessing, and Ray Tietjen. A small firehouse was constructed by the membership on land donated by the Nicholas Thomas Lumber Company, and a Model A engine was provided as the fire fighting apparatus. At this time, cement was $1.00 / bag and the cost of construction was $2,500. Although there were no zoning ordinances at that time, the Company negotiated with the Township regarding the original lot size and the proposed development.
In 1953, the discussions that had been underway for nearly a year resulted in the Company’s incorporation and designation as Mt. Bethel Volunteer Fire Company No. 2.
The land and firehouse were conveyed in November 1955 for the consideration of $1,000 and $1,800, respectively. The Company bore the above name until December 1965, at which time it was reincorporated and redesignated the Mt. Horeb Volunteer Fire Company No. 2, the name we proudly bear today.
The Model A engine loaned to the Company was replaced with a 1932 Boyer 750 gallon per minute (gpm) pumper. As membership expanded a 1934 Mack was purchased and reconditioned. Two vehicles created a space problem, however, so the membership expanded the firehouse on land purchased, once again, from the lumber company. Over the years land has also been purchased from the Cabineers to accommodate firehouse expansion and expanded operation to serve a growing population. This included the Community House in 1962.
The Boyer was retired from service and a 1,000 gallon tank truck was purchased along with a 300 gpm front end pump. That latter vehicle was retired in 1959. The Mack was replaced in 1956 with a 500 gpm pumper purchased from Far Hills for $4,500.
This apparatus was a 1949 American LaFrance on a Ford chassis; when retired, it was sold to Rutgers University and replaced with a 1966 Hahn on a Ford Super Duty chassis. It was 750 gpm and was designated A-8. This vehicle was the first purchased by the Township. Prior to this time the Company purchased its own apparatus.
In February 1988, the Company was recognized for its 25 years of service to the community as a member of the Township Fire Department. Members of the Mt. Horeb Volunteer Fire Co. No. 2 assure a high quality emergency response in time of peril to the residents of Warren Township, and provide a continuing voluntary contribution of time and effort.
In 1989, the Mt. Horeb Volunteer Fire Company No. 2 celebrated the retirement of A-8 and the commissioning of A-2, a Ward 79 with a Duplex chassis, to meet the needs of a growing community. Finally, in March 2000, the Company purchased a new utility truck, Ford F 350 with its own funds to better serve Warren’s residents.
The Mt. Horeb Fire Co. Ladies Auxiliary donates time and raises money through numerous ventures, such as a Fall Luncheon on October 22, 2000, bake sales, and Family Photo Day (s) in April 2001, to benefit the Company. Many members are wives, mothers and daughters of Company members, but membership is open to everyone.
In February 2010 the Company took delivery of its new Class A pumper, designated 61-102, to replace its’ 20 year old Ward 79. The new apparatus has a 6 man fully enclosed cab and was designed to be more compact to provide greater flexibility and access to the roads and driveways in the Township. The manufacturer, HME, produced the entire unit at its’ Michigan plant, making 61-102 the first “single source” HME pumper to be placed in service in the State.
In 2014 we took delivery of the town’s specialist brush truck, named 61-141. This apparatus is purpose built to help fight small brush fires such as those that occur on RT78 and during mulch season. It also provides much needed support during events such as the township bonfire and annual car show utilizing its EMS facilities and Med-Bed.